RamRajya News

Israel Airstrikes Kill 12 in Gaza Amid Truce Row

At least 12 Palestinians were killed in fresh Israeli airstrikes across the Gaza Strip on Sunday, deepening tensions despite an ongoing ceasefire agreement. Palestinian officials reported casualties in both northern and southern Gaza, while Israel said the strikes were a response to what it described as serious violations of the truce by Hamas.

Casualties in Tent Encampments and Khan Younis

According to Gaza’s civil defence agency and medical sources, an airstrike hit a tent encampment sheltering displaced families, killing at least four people. The camp was housing civilians who had fled earlier fighting in the region.

Health officials in Khan Younis reported that another strike killed five people in the southern city. In northern Gaza, one person was reportedly shot dead amid the escalation. Local authorities said the death toll could rise as rescue operations continued.

The renewed violence comes despite a US-brokered ceasefire that entered its second phase last month. Both Israel and Hamas have repeatedly accused each other of violating the terms of the agreement.

Israel Cites Ceasefire Violations

An Israeli military official stated that the latest airstrikes were “precise operations” conducted in line with international law. The official claimed that Hamas militants had emerged from a tunnel near the agreed demarcation zone, referred to by Israel as the “Yellow Line”, close to Israeli Defence Forces (IDF) positions.

According to the Israeli account, armed militants crossing this line constituted a clear breach of the ceasefire. The military said it targeted individuals it identified as posing an immediate threat to its troops.

The IDF also confirmed that it had struck a building east of the demarcation line after detecting militants emerging from underground tunnels. It claimed that at least two militants were killed in that operation. Gaza authorities said they had no immediate confirmation of those specific casualties.

Hamas Accuses Israel of ‘Massacre’

Hamas spokesperson Hazem Qassem condemned the strikes, describing them as a “massacre” against displaced civilians. He accused Israel of deliberately undermining the truce ahead of an upcoming international meeting aimed at stabilising Gaza.

Qassem called on global leaders scheduled to attend discussions in Washington later this week to pressure Israel into fully implementing the ceasefire agreement without delay.

The ceasefire is considered a key element of former US President Donald Trump’s broader plan to end the Gaza war and initiate reconstruction efforts in the devastated enclave.

Background of the Conflict

The current war began on October 7, 2023, when Hamas launched a large-scale attack on southern Israel, killing over 1,200 people, according to Israeli government figures. In response, Israel launched extensive air and ground operations in Gaza.

Since then, more than 72,000 people have been killed in Gaza, according to data from the Palestinian health ministry. The humanitarian situation in the densely populated territory has drawn global concern, with thousands displaced and infrastructure severely damaged.

Rising Tensions Despite Truce

Officials in Gaza claim that at least 600 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli fire since the ceasefire began. Israel, meanwhile, says four of its soldiers have died in attacks by militants during the same period.

Disagreements over the implementation of withdrawal terms and the disarmament of Hamas remain central sticking points. Israel has insisted that Hamas must lay down its weapons as part of the long-term agreement, while Hamas has so far rejected those demands.

With diplomatic efforts ongoing and reconstruction proposals under discussion, Sunday’s strikes underline the fragile nature of the truce. Whether the ceasefire can hold amid continued accusations and retaliatory actions remains uncertain.

Exit mobile version